Sponsor a Child with Plan, I do!

Sponsor with Plan - Help a child realise their potential

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Bristol Old Vic Theatre



There is good news from Bristol today. Bristol City Council in their wisdom have granted £1 million and the Arts Council £2 million towards the £7 million needed to improve the oldest working theatre in the country. The Theatre Royal – popularly known as the Bristol Old Vic started in 1766 and was granted Royal licence in 1778 by George III. The theatre thrives today with professional productions and can claim many now famous actors who have trained at the associated Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.
We are assured that the wonderful auditorium will not be changed but it all will be made more comfortable. Nowadays the seats creak and some of them are behind pillars that obstruct the view and much needs to be done behind the scenes to improve and preserve the Grade 1 listed building.
I have fond memories of going “back stage” over the years. The following link is to the Bristol University Theatre Collection's listing of plays acted in by My father. [pictured (right) above with John Neville in The Lady's Not for Burning at Bristol in 1950]

He was an actor who was at Bristol Old Vic regularly in the years after the Second World War and then several times up to his last appearance there in 1982. I still go to the theatre when I can, which is not often enough.
I am going to place several links into this post as I know that some of my visitors will be interested.I wish good luck to the BOV in raising the rest of the money needed and hope to see works start before too long.

No comments: